Implementing IP_FREEBIND in OpenSSH

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Wed Jul 28 09:18:49 AEST 2021

On Tue, 27 Jul 2021, Dmitry Belyavskiy wrote:

> > Couldn't you achieve the same result without modification to sshd
> > by using the ip_nonlocal_bind flag in the Linux kernel?
> >

> Yes, it is a possible workaround, but this flag is system-level one, so it
> doesn't provide any granularity.

Perhaps make ip_nonlocal_bind=2 allow root to bind non-locally without
restriction. That might solve the problem for sshd and all other network
daemons?

Otherwise, I don't want to add another configuration directive for a
niche, platform-specific feature when the same effect could be achieved
though existing configuration (systemd dependencies, socket activation,
wildcard bind plus packet filtering, etc).

If SO_BINDANY does turn out to be cross platform without heavy caveats,
then perhaps a flag on this existing Listen directive would be more
acceptable, e.g. "Listen 111.222.33.44 bindany" - there is prior art
for such flags in the existing "rdomain" one.

-d