PasswordCommand option for ssh client?

asymptosis asymptosis at posteo.net
Tue Jun 22 13:20:59 AEST 2021

Hey all,

While I generally prefer keypair authentication, I am sometimes stuck with the need to access a variety of hosts which only permit password authentication. At the moment, I copy-paste my password from `pass`.

I wondered if it could be doable to add a new option to ssh_config, analogous to the various XYZCommand options available for sshd_config?

(Hopefully I'm not overlooking something: I'm on 8.6p1 here, and I don't see anything in `man ssh` or `man ssh_config` which matches what I am looking for.)

For my ~/.ssh/config, I'm imagining a stanza like so:

Host A.B.C.D
PasswordCommand pass show A.B.C.D

So long as I have gpg-agent running, I would then be able to log into these hosts in a fairly seamless way. It would also help with keeping track of which password is relevant to which hosts.

Thanks for any replies.