Use-cases for PerSourceMaxStartups and PerSourceNetBlockSize

Phil Pennock phil.pennock at globnix.org
Sat Mar 20 02:25:40 AEDT 2021

On 2021-03-19 at 13:06 +0200, Lars Noodén wrote:
> I notice PerSourceMaxStartups and PerSourceNetBlockSize in 8.5
> supplementing MaxStartups.  What kind of use-cases were in mind for
> PerSourceMaxStartups and PerSourceNetBlockSize?  I've only seen
> distributed attacks in recent years so they must have some other
> intention.

As a feature request: if there were a way to remove the "whichever is
lower" behavior combining PerSourceMaxStartups with MaxStartups, then I
would be using PerSourceMaxStartups now ^W next time I'm working in an
office.

"The office with all the developers behind a /29, all opening SSH
connections to a git server?  Give that /29 MUCH higher limits.  The
rest of the world?  Not so much."

-Phil