Phasing out forwarding of locale settings

Jochen Bern Jochen.Bern at binect.de
Sat Sep 4 01:02:57 AEST 2021

On 03.09.21 11:55, Florian Weimer wrote:
> Most distributions send locale environment variables by default:
[...]
> And accept them on the server side:
[...]
> Now that servers often use minimal installations which only support a
> small set of locales (C, C.UTF-8), would it make sense to discontinue
> this practice?

In order to achieve what exactly?

I'm no stranger to putting "export LANG=C" into shell scripts so that I
can reliably parse command outputs, but on the other hand, our servers
do document processing and some of the 3rd party software used will
introduce strange misrepresentations unless we have both(!) en_US.UTF-8
and de_DE.UTF-8 installed. Allowing the respective variables to be
carried from client to server automatically keeps users from getting
innovative with ~/.bashrc and the like ...

Regards,
--
Jochen Bern
Systemingenieur