Sending envvars via ssh agent protocol

Jim Knoble jmknoble at pobox.com
Sun Sep 12 08:11:51 AEST 2021

On a recent Ubuntu Budgie desktop 20.04.3 long-term-support install, I had to disable the gnome-keyring-ssh thingy that started ssh-agent as a parent of my X11 session, because it was unexpectedly supplying passphrases to my keys without asking me. (Still don't quite know how it knew the passphrases...). The agent was started early enough in the session and weirdly enough as a child of gnome-keyring, I don't know whether it even had access to $DISPLAY or a controlling terminal.

If that's common across Ubuntu flavors, then I wouldn't be surprised if a large number of folks have ssh-agents that don't have the right context for 'ssh-add -c'.

--
jmk