Howto log multiple sftpd instances with their chroot shared via NFS

Douglas E Engert deengert at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 00:08:29 AEST 2021

On 9/21/2021 4:49 AM, Hildegard Meier wrote:

> How can I get the sftp user's activity be logged on each sftp server, when a user logs in to that server, while the user's home is shared on both servers via NFS?

based on:
https://www.syslog-ng.com/technical-documents/doc/syslog-ng-open-source-edition/3.18/administration-guide/88

This might work for a few sftp servers.
On first server, hostname1, use /dev/<hostname1>/log for all its default logging and its normal syslog-ng.conf and for the special
syslog-ng.conf:
source s_chroot_<username> { unix-stream("/var/data/chroot/<username>/dev/hostname1/log" optional(yes) ); };
(May need to add a symlink on each host /dev/log->/dev/<hostname1>/log)

Do the above for second server, hostname2, use /dev/<hostname2>/log

Then add these to the chroot directories in NFS:
/var/data/chroot/<username>/dev/<hostname1>/log
/var/data/chroot/<username>/dev/<hostname2>/log

This should cause hostname1 to lock on  /var/data/chroot/<username>/dev/<hostname1>/log
and hostname 2 to lock on /var/data/chroot/<username>/dev/<hostname2>/log
because the syslog-ng does not really look at the syslog-ng.conf in the chroot.

  Douglas E. Engert  <DEEngert at gmail.com>