scp3.sh regression test fails if scp not already installed

rapier rapier at psc.edu
Thu Aug 4 05:50:49 AEST 2022

Hey, sorry for the late reply. I was at a conference and then got food
poisoning so I've been spending way too long catching up.

On 7/23/22 12:33 AM, Darren Tucker wrote:

> Thanks for the report.  I am fine with doing this in principle but
> there's a few problems with the specifics of this patch:

That's cool. I'm not really very good at shell scripting (at all) and I
just went with the first thing I found that worked in my context. I
submitted the patch as an example rather than anything I expected to
have included.

> What's the purpose of this?  In case the build dir is in the build
> shell's path but not the login shell's?

Yup. I knew it was fragile but I didn't know of a better way of doing it.

> After a bit of fiddling, this seems to work, which I'll commit shortly:
>
> $SSH -F $OBJ/ssh_proxy somehost \
>      'IFS=":"; for i in $PATH;do [ -x "$i/scp" ] && exit 0; done; exit 1'
> if [ $? -eq 1 ]; then
>         skip "No scp on remote path."
> fi

Sweet! I'll get that into my code base as well. Thanks for looking at this.

Chris