Is there any way in the ssh config file to shorten the "hostname's password" request?

Darren Tucker dtucker at dtucker.net
Fri Dec 9 09:46:05 AEDT 2022

On Fri, 9 Dec 2022 at 01:23, Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
> So when I connect I get a very long "<name>'s password:" which I find
> rather distracting, not to mention that it doesn't really tell me what
> I'm logging into.

If it's SSH "password" authentication, ssh(1) will use the
HostKeyAlias (if set) in the prompt:

$ ssh -o hostkeyalias=foobar -o preferredauthentications=password localhost
dtucker at foobar's password:

If it's SSH "keybpoard-interactive" authentication then the prompt
might be generated by PAM, and in that case there's not much ssh can
do with that.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at dtucker.net)
GPG key 11EAA6FA / A86E 3E07 5B19 5880 E860  37F4 9357 ECEF 11EA A6FA (new)