SCP in SFTP mode

Dmitry Belyavskiy dbelyavs at redhat.com
Sat Feb 5 02:31:52 AEDT 2022

Hello,

After a deeper investigation I think I can explain what happens.
Special thanks to Jakub Jelen who did the server side investigation.

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 series is based on OpenSSH 8.0, which is rather
old.

Soon after the OpenSSH 8.0 was published, the upstream introduced a
server-side fix for sftp, which changes the use of POSIX realpath (on
LInux) to the OpenBSD one with various quirks:
https://github.com/openssh/openssh-portable/commit/569b650f93b561c09c655f83f128e1dfffe74101

If the OpenBSD realpath is in use on the server, the current master
successfully copies directories using scp in SFTP mode. Otherwise problems
occur.

As RHEL 8 series will definitely be in wide use for several more years, I
kindly ask the OpenSSH upstream to consider this patch, which is trying to
workaround the server side on the client side:
https://github.com/openssh/openssh-portable/pull/299
It's a slightly tidied up version of the POC patch I've sent to this ML
before.

Many thanks in advance!

--
Dmitry Belyavskiy