detecting musl (was Re: Call for testing: OpenSSH 8.9)

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Sat Feb 19 06:21:56 AEDT 2022

Thorsten Glaser wrote in
 <96cab59-5c-d87c-f47c-12aa3a23adf at tarent.de>:
 |(retopiccing and trimming Cc)
 |On Fri, 18 Feb 2022, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
 |
 |> Well it may look secondarily.  This is musl libc in the end.
 |> And note it does not, as per the snippet you removed, perform any
 |> action on its own, it just gives a hint for a specific configure
 |> option which does.
 |
 |I don’t understand what you are trying to say here.

 |>|
 |>|Nope. It hardcodes a path into the *host* system. Absolutely wrong,
 |>|on multiple counts. (It would also trigger, say, on a glibc system
 |>|with musl installed.)
 |
 |>  I am using the same mechanism (i have not
 |> invented it) in my ~/.profile, for setting LC_ALL.
 |
 |It’s plain wrong, that’s what it is.
 |
 |lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25  2. Okt 14:47 /lib/ld-linux.so.2 -> i386-linux\
 |-gnu/ld-2.31.so*
 |lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 15. Jan 2021  /lib/ld-musl-x86_64.so.1 -> \
 |x86_64-linux-musl/libc.so*
 |
 |This Debian system just has both, so you cannot use this to detect musl.

We were talking about AlpineLinux aka a native musl system, it was
you who came over with some sort of special development or
otherwise special-purpose thing, Mr.

 |(Similarily, you cannot use this to detect a pure-static musl system;
 |I’m told the suckless people have interest in these.)
 |
 |>|Link statically.
 |>
 |> Nah.  For hello world you mean?
 |
 |Yes, link the hello world statically so strings will show MUSL_LOCPATH
 |occurring. You can use -static for this, or the distro is broken.

You do have a static musl on your box Mr.?

 |>   #?0|kent:musl.git$ git grep -i LOCPA master
 |>   master:WHATSNEW:- MUSL_LOCPATH search was broken with multiple \
 |>   components
 |>   master:src/locale/locale_map.c: if (!libc.secure) path = getenv("MUSL_L\
 |>   OCPATH");
 |
 |Yes, this is where it comes from.
 |
 |> Never heard of it.
 |
 |It’s probably their equivalent of glibc LOCPATH: a path where a user
 |can install custom locales into.
 |See: https://serverfault.com/a/1093896/189656

I fail to see how this can be used to reliable detect this
environment.

A nice weekend everybody, if you can.

--steffen