Feature Request: socket-passing support in ssh client

Chris Mitchell ssh-list at chris.oldnest.ca
Sat Jan 15 04:45:13 AEDT 2022

On Thu, 13 Jan 2022 18:11:20 -0500
<rsbecker at nexbridge.com> wrote:

> For multiplexed connections, would not local port forwarding be a
> better architecture? It does not pass off sockets but allows
> on-demand access. --Randall

I must admit I don't really get what you're suggesting.

When you say "local port forwarding", do you mean the "ssh -L" option?
Because if that allows the kind of on-demand access I've described,
I'd be grateful if you could explain how to do it.

Or do you mean some other tool to forward one or more local ports to the
one local port that ssh is already forwarding to the remote host? (Does
that even make sense?) Or something else again?

And I may have made an A/B error talking about passing off sockets.
Passing sockets is not an objective per se, but rather in my limited
understanding I had assumed it was "the" way to achieve the kind of
on-demand port forwarding I'm after.

Cheers!
 -Chris