Feature Request: socket-passing support in ssh client

John-Mark Gurney jmg at funkthat.com
Sat Jan 15 09:05:24 AEDT 2022

Chris Mitchell wrote this message on Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 13:01 -0400:
> On Fri, 14 Jan 2022 10:01:29 +1100
> Darren Tucker <dtucker at dtucker.net> wrote:
>
> > It's not exactly what you ask for later, but it's the exact
> > counterpart for sshd -i: you can run ssh under inetd (or similar) in
> > "netcat mode" (-W), where it will pass data on stdin/out to a remote
> > port forward.  You'd put something like this in inetd.conf:
> >
> > ssh -W destinationhost:port intermediatehost
>
> Ah-ha! I think that will do nicely for my purposes. I'll try my
> on-demand setup with that option and see what sort of trouble I can get
> myself into.

ControlMaster/ControlPath (see ssh_config(5)) can be used to send multiple
sessions over a single connection if that is so desired.

>From ControlMaster:
             These sessions will try to reuse the master instance's
             network connection rather than initiating new ones, but will fall
             back to connecting normally if the control socket does not exist,
             or is not listening.

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579