sshd Failing New Inbound Connections

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Tue Mar 29 00:32:24 AEDT 2022

Hello Thorsten.

Thorsten Glaser wrote in
 <cde1a8a-25b5-42d8-b4b-f1f595ea8bfc at tarent.de>:

 |> ..inet_pton..
 |
 |Huh. Not that but inet_aton on GNU, and other functions apparently.

I did not know this one.  But i want to go with standard ones,
otherwise i would have a parser myself, it is C++ but actually
that one is C.  It requires "3 periods" for IPv4 though, and
always uses base 10.

 |This is idiotic, and I guess the same POSIX that insists on octals
 |for leading-zero numbers in shell, causing no small amount of bugs,
 |is responsible. Hmph.

 ||            $ ./a.out 226.000.000.037      # Last byte is in octal
 |
 |Given that these may be either decimal or octal, depending on where
 |they come from, it’s probably for the best to reject them.
 |
 |(My RFC822-and-related-parser certainly does.)

Looking at the docu it seems even more strange, no end-user i know
would ever use octal or hexadecimal numbers in an IPv4 address,
let alone in a mixed fashion.  I personally would only go for
"IPv4 dotted-decimal notation".  Whatever.

--steffen