Killing the OpenSSH server doesn't cause the Windows OpenSSH client to die

Bob Rasmussen ras at anzio.com
Sat Apr 8 03:08:41 AEST 2023

It depends how you "kill" the SSH server.

If you kill it by sending it a SIGKILL signal, it will NOT notify the
client, so the client will stay running until the client discovers the
connection is broken.

What happens if you send the SSH server a SIGHUP signal? This should cause
an orderly shutdown on the server, which should notify the client, which
should cause the client to do an orderly shutdown.

On Fri, 7 Apr 2023, Yuri wrote:

> I connect with the OpenSSH client on Windows to the OpenSSH server on
> FreeBSD, all in one LAN, Wifi to Eithernet.
>

> After a while, usually when the connection is inactive for some time, it
> becomes dysfunctional: it becomes impossible to connect through reverse port
> forwards from FreeBSD to Windows.
>
> At such times killing the ssh server process on FreeBSD, corresponding to the
> connection, doesn't cause the client to exit on Windows.
>
> But hitting Enter on the client in Windows causes it to immediately exit.
>

> Did anybody experience a problem like this?
>
> Could there be a bug in OpenSSH?
>
> Is it possible that Windows fails to deliver the signal to the client that
> the connection was terminated?
>

> Thank you,
>
> Yuri

Regards,
....Bob Rasmussen,   President,   Rasmussen Software, Inc.

personal e-mail: ras at anzio.com
  company e-mail: rsi at anzio.com
           voice: (US) 503-624-0360
             fax: no longer available
             web: http://www.anzio.com
Mailing address: Rasmussen Software, Inc.   NEW AS OF JULY 1, 2022
                  6265 SW Erickson Ave.
                  Beaverton OR 97008  USA