"Bad packet length 1231976033"

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Tue Apr 25 03:17:18 AEST 2023

> On Apr 10, 2023, at 7:24 AM, Darren Tucker <dtucker at dtucker.net> wrote:

> One thing that can cause this is if the libc writes to stderr (ie fd
> 2) on some classes of error.   This is something libc should probably
> not do, since in things that are not simple command line tools (say, a
> ssh daemon) may be using fd 2 for something else entirely.

Agreed.  libc or libcrypto...

>>> Could you get a tcpdump when this happens?
>>
>> Or debug output from at least the client (run ssh with -vvv) or
>> preferably the server (run sshd with -ddd).
>
> That's probably not going to show it, but strace'ing either the client
> or the server will probably capture the error message in full.
>
> Since you're using 9.1, the message could be an "Invalid free", since
> there was a double-free bug in that release :-(

Ah, good to know.

One other thing I noticed: I have ssh issues to/from my Ubuntu VM or slow https downloads until I reboot it, then it works properly for a while until it doesn't.

Wondering if it's also a possible device driver related issue?  None of the other guests (OpenWrt, CentOS, Fedora, etc) seem to have network related issues.  Just Ubuntu.  And it happens when Ubuntu is either the client or the server (at least for ssh/scp).

-Philip