SFTP support for subsecond times

Jochen Bern Jochen.Bern at binect.de
Fri May 26 18:51:16 AEST 2023

On 25.05.23 14:28, Daja / Dahya / Mark Dominik Bürkle wrote:
> using "synchronized" subsecond timestamps imho only makes sense with
> synchronized time (ntp) through that ssh tunnel, too.

I don't think that one'll get very good results from running NTP
*through SSH* (or any other kind of connection with the delay+jitter of
a crypto layer), though. And that's even *before* considering the
effects of the SSH connection occasionally getting closed and reopened
every now and then.

*If*¹ you need well-synced computer clocks to make use of those
precision timestamps, better use "conventional means" (which might
involve having the two sites' clocks "linked" by a suitable external
source like GPS or a 3rd party NTP server, rather than a direct NTP
peering).

¹ I seem to remember that the OP had a problem when the server the files
*originally came from* saw differing timestamps on the remote copies,
which would IMHO be fixed by copying the exact timestamps over even if
the remote clock is *not* in sync.

Kind regards,
--
Jochen Bern