command [argument ...] in ssh(1): a footgun

Thorsten Glaser t.glaser at tarent.de
Sat May 27 08:08:43 AEST 2023

On Fri, 26 May 2023, Mingye Wang (Artoria2e5) wrote:

> ssh(1) currently affords an argument-passing functionality, but as the manpage
> states, all arguments are simply concatenated by space.

How else would it do that? The arguments are processed by the
shell first then passed as an array of NUL-terminated strings.

> The modest proposal is that we put a giant CAVEATS section in the manual page.

That might be useful indeed.

> The less modest one is we throw out the "[argument ...]" part altogether. It

Absolutely not. This will break about all uses of ssh in existence.

> What about escaping the arguments? Nobody said the user has to use a POSIX

Absolutely not. This will break almost all uses of ssh in existence.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
Infrastrukturexperte • tarent solutions GmbH
Am Dickobskreuz 10, D-53121 Bonn • http://www.tarent.de/