ssh wish list?

Chris Rapier rapier at psc.edu
Thu Oct 19 06:52:46 AEDT 2023

On 10/18/23 2:56 PM, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
> Chris Rapier wrote in
>   <9b9c0475-7c4f-468a-b6bf-7921fb5e276c at psc.edu>:
>   |So I do some development based on openssh and I'm trying to think of
>   |some new projects that might extend the functionality, feature set, user
>   |workflow, performance, etc of ssh.
>
> Despite my own two year old SIGUSR1 for ssh-agent that i rebase
> all the time.
>
> SSH over UDP (or "any other non-stream", or "auto-connection-re-
> establish" protocol).  I do not know how it can work for you all
> if you have internet access via wlan; maybe ipsec is also an
> option, i do not use it as i am afraid of the setup (on all end
> points; there is that interesting thing for OpenBSD, but i never
> heard anything real again -- and OpenBSD only of course), and
> WireGuard does this really nicely!
> Yes i am thankful for the UDP based WireGuard, it improved my SSH
> experience tremendously, as eventual "reconnections" are not seen
> by OpenSSH at all, it is only the timeouts that keep on ticking.

We have been looking at implementing different protocols other than TCP.
QUIC, for example, looks promising. We're mostly looking at that for
throughput performance though. I don't know if that would work in your
specific use case though.

> Now the only thing that remains is that ~60 second connection
> limit for OpenBSD downloads on their main server, since with
> 64KBit you cannot even download the openssh ball within.

Your throughput is limited to 64Kbps? Is that a limitation of wireguard
or some other issue?