'Too many authentication failures' nuisance

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Sun Aug 11 00:13:19 AEST 2024

I have several ssh keys in the ~/.ssh directory of my desktop machine.
As a result whenever I try to connect to a system which uses password
authentication I get the "Too many authentication failures" error.

Yes, I know I can get round this by setting PreferredAuthentications
but this is rather a nuisance to have to do individually for all
systems that use password authentication.  It also means that I have
to do it for a 'casual' ssh access to a system which I'm unlikely to
access more than once.

Is there any way around this problem?

--
Chris Green