Authentication using federated identity

Falcon Darkstar Momot falcon at falconk.rocks
Fri Feb 9 21:35:32 AEDT 2024

Practically speaking, most popular IAM and SSO solutions offer OIDC SAML
tokens but do not offer Kerberos tickets.  OpenID Connect is a standard
which itself is based on RFC6749 (OAuth2). This provides a compelling
reason to support it in addition to Kerberos.  I'll also note that OIDC
tokens are easy to validate without a bidirectional trust relationship
between the IdP and RP.

SSH authentication via OAuth2, in particular, would save complexity at
most organizations I've worked with.  All of them so far have preferred
things like automated SSH certificate signers or APIs that cause
orchestration to add SSH keys to authorized_keys on hosts, before they
implement Kerberos just for this.

On top of that, Active Directory is a legacy solution now.  Its
successor uses OAuth2.