An Analysis of the DHEat DoS Against SSH in Cloud Environments

Chris Rapier rapier at psc.edu
Fri Jun 28 02:55:55 AEST 2024

On 6/26/24 7:56 AM, Joseph S. Testa II wrote:
> On Wed, 2024-06-26 at 04:32 +0200, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
>> If they get under attack, they’d better do. And if you’re ignoring
>> a known bottleneck, the results will probably not be very useful…
>> besides, not everyone is systemd-infested.
>

> The primary responsibility falls on system designers to choose
> reasonable default settings.

I think it's really important to get this right. The problem, from my
perspective, is that a large number of people are going to installing
9.8 via package updates. They're not going to look to closely at what
has changed or what they might need to do differently. Sadly, this
includes a lot of people that should know better. Just how it is though.
If it wasn't that way we wouldn't need something to protect users
against their own weak passwords.

I think this is a good idea. I'm just concerned about unforeseen impacts.