Security of ssh across a LAN, public key versus password

David Lang david at lang.hm
Tue Oct 22 06:02:00 AEDT 2024

There is room for differences of opinion here.

other factors
do you reuse the password elsewhere (or use a passwork close enough, most people
tend to use a static prefix and have a cycling value at the end)

do people use a password manager

do you always start from the same system? or do you use different systems at
different times. If you use different systems, how do you manage your certs and
have them in the right place? (can you use a hardware fob to store them, what do
you do when you forget/lose it, etc)?

is your key passphrase similar to your password?

A cert is a single factor, so is a password. Cert authentication is only two
factor if you trust that the password is not stored along with the cert (which
is on the untrusted client)

This is why I push for challenge/response tokens, not simply cert
authentication, and really wish that FIDO (such as yubikey) was an option, but
the discussions I've seen about suporting that have not been encouraging.

David Lang