[portawiki-discuss] fsync() and OS X

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Tue Nov 1 19:45:58 EST 2005

Stewart Smith <stewart at mysql.com> writes:

>At least to my knowledge, Linux at least will do the appropriate foo required
>when fsync is called. Certainly we only saw this type of corruption on OSX.
>Maybe the best bet is to audit the code paths on systems we care about or
>double-check with the maintainers?

It seemed a bit odd (from the Apple guy's explanation) that only OS X was
affected, you'd think that either (a) all OSes would experience terrible write
performance or (b) all OSes would experience corruption.  Instead, depending
on whether you use FSSYNC or not, it's only OS X that gets hit.  Very odd.

Peter.