[flashboot] Flashboot still possible with 4.9

flashbootlist at itmon.nl flashbootlist at itmon.nl
Wed May 4 17:38:24 EST 2011

Hi James,

I tried both; the GENERIC-RD which comes with "flashboot-SNAP-20101224"
results in some devices being unknown (not surprisingly; different config
than matches the sources).

Then I tried RAMDISK and GENERIC from /sys/arch/i386/conf (obsd 4.9).

The building of GENERIC stops with:
=============================
cp bsd bsd.rd
/root/flashboot/obj/rdsetroot bsd.rd < mr.fs
bsd.rd: no rd_root_image symbols?
*** Error code 1

Stop in /root/flashboot (line 95 of /root/flashboot/Makefile).
Your kernel is stored here /root/flashboot/obj/
=============================

Which makes sence to me since this config is not configured for a ramdrive
root filesystem.

The RAMDISK get futher but fails with:
# /dev/rsvnd0c:
/mnt: write failed, file system is full

Or better said; it continues and builds de bsd.gz but that bsd.gz doesn't
work because it can not load /sbin/init. (Most likely because it was never
copied to /mnt during the making of the ramdrive filesystem).

So I'm getting closer but haven't succeeded just yet.

Mark