[flashboot] flashboot on Soekris 4826

Charles Musser cmusser at sonic.net
Thu Jun 13 09:40:29 EST 2013

I'm trying to work through the procedure for installing Flashboot for the first time. This Soekris has no removable CF, so I'm using PXEboot to start the standard 5.2 bsd.rd kernel and then see if I could noodle my way through it.

I formatted the disk with newfs (specifically, I formatted the "a" partition on the disk), copied the "boot" program over, then used installboot. From here, I'm not sure what to do. The overview in Github mentions a bsd.gz file, but I don't know where to find that. Also, there are images on Github, but again, I don't quite understand which one is appropriate. There are disk images and kernels. It seems like a whole image is what's needed here, but I'm not sure. Finally, I don't know the mechanics of importing these images: one possibility is "dd", but that might overwrite whatever installboot did.

Do you have any advice on how to try out flashboot on this device?

Thanks,

Chuck