[flashboot] flashboot on Soekris 4826

Charles Musser cmusser at sonic.net
Sun Jun 16 07:05:44 EST 2013

Yep, that's the way to do it. You PXEboot a bsd.rd, drop into the shell, then use FTP and "dd" to blast the image onto the flash device. And yeah, reading build-diskimage.sh is very instructive. I had deduced a fair amount of what needed to be done, but there are several things in there that I probably wouldn't have figured out in a reasonable amount of time.

After a couple of days of fooling around with it (with some very generous online help from another list member), I got it going. I started out with those pre-built images (the ones you mention that are based on 5.0), then built my own image by cloning Flashboot from Github, running the scripts and tweaking them slightly to add some additional stuff. It all works. The images I built are based on 5.2. I would have tried 5.3, but my build machine is a virtual host and there was supposedly some difficulty getting 5.3 to work reliably on whatever virtualization they're using.

So my initial question about getting the stuff onto the 4826 has been answered, and now I'm moving on to further customization. One big mystery is how to build a system that's "read-write", i.e.. not based entirely on a ramdisk and a "flash" partiion mounted read-only. But that's a new topic entirely.

Eventually, I'll post a writeup on how I did it, along with some more general "overview" material that may be useful for the project documentation.

Chuck