[netflow-tools] softflowd timeouts

Michael W. Lucas mwlucas at blackhelicopters.org
Mon May 2 22:43:43 EST 2005

I'm looking to adjust the timeouts of softflowd so that I can get
"closer to real-time" detection of port scans, etc.  99.99% of my
flows on this web server farm are short-lived, so it appears that the
TCP timeout of 3600s is a little high.

What sort of negative effects could I expect if I set the TCP timeout
to, say, 300s?  Surely something drove setting the TCP timeout to 1
hour?

==ml

--
Michael W. Lucas	mwlucas at FreeBSD.org, mwlucas at BlackHelicopters.org
	       Latest book: Cisco Routers for the Desperate