[netflow-tools] softflowd timeouts

Michael W. Lucas mwlucas at blackhelicopters.org
Mon May 2 22:59:42 EST 2005

On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 08:43:43AM -0400, Michael W. Lucas wrote:
> I'm looking to adjust the timeouts of softflowd so that I can get
> "closer to real-time" detection of port scans, etc.  99.99% of my
> flows on this web server farm are short-lived, so it appears that the
> TCP timeout of 3600s is a little high.
>
> What sort of negative effects could I expect if I set the TCP timeout
> to, say, 300s?  Surely something drove setting the TCP timeout to 1
> hour?

And sorry to follow up on myself:

Damien said the timeouts are 30min, but on a default install on
FreeBSD I see:

# softflowctl timeouts
softflowd[57604]: Printing timeouts:
           TCP timeout: 3600s
  TCP post-RST timeout: 120s
  TCP post-FIN timeout: 300s
           UDP timeout: 300s
          ICMP timeout: 300s
       General timeout: 3600s
      Maximum lifetime: 604800s
       Expiry interval: 60s

--
Michael W. Lucas	mwlucas at FreeBSD.org, mwlucas at BlackHelicopters.org
	       Latest book: Cisco Routers for the Desperate