[netflow-tools] Pcap dropping packets

Bogdan Ghita b.ghita at jack.see.plymouth.ac.uk
Wed May 4 01:25:11 EST 2005

Hello again

I'm aware that the subject is rather off-topic for the list, but it
seems that either nobody has had problems before with it or it's my
machine that really needs upgrading.

I've installed the statistics patch from Damien and now I get the full
picture - "pcap packets dropped" are about 10% of "pcap packets
received". An example below:
---
Number of active flows: 550792
Packets processed: 468154791
Fragments: 1823
Ignored packets: 40871 (40871 non-IP, 0 too short)
Flows expired: 7131866 (0 forced)
Flows exported: 10501294 in 358453 packets (0 failures)
pcap packets received: 3767680
pcap packets dropped: 373100
pcap packets dropped by interface: 0
---
(the percentage does vary considerably, the number of lost packets is
not precisely 10%)

which, according to my understanding :), means that my network card
driver is dropping packets...I've got an onboard Intel Ethernet, so I've
looked then on the eepro100 mailing list but it looks rather quiet. So,
anybody has had any experience tweaking the buffers(?) on a/the eepro100
network card driver?

Best regards
Bogdan

P.S. the other softflowd patch work like a charm - no more daily
archives of /var/log/messages , due to flow-capture errors.