[netflow-tools] "Fatal error - exiting immediately"

Tony Lewis gnutered at yahoo.com.au
Fri Nov 18 21:58:10 EST 2005

Robin Breathe wrote:

>Damien Miller wrote:
>

>>>Is GCC 4.0 buggy?
>>>

>>It is very buggy. There have been a spate of bugs reported to OpenSSH
>>that have been traced to gcc-4.x miscompilations, though Linux/x86
>>hasn't been as bad as more obscure platforms. I would avoid it for quite
>>a few versions yet...
>>

>Damien,
>
>I've also found that softflowd dies instantly when compiled with GCC
>4.0.2 under Solaris 9/Sparc - I hadn't found time to verify conclusively
>that GCC was responsible or I would have reported the issue earlier.

Robin, I don't know if you picked it up, but I sorted this out by
compiling with GCC 3.3.

I hadn't heard that GCC 4.0 was bad.  In fact, most of Debian (though
not the kernel) is compiled with GCC 4.0 I think.  It's the default
GCC.  Dunno how they get away with it.

If it's compiler badness, there's probably not a lot you can do, other
than maybe raise bugs on GCC, because it seems fairly reproducible.

Tony