[netflow-tools] softflowd & openbsd carp devices

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Thu May 10 17:02:56 EST 2007

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007, memic wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i have an interface with softflowd running, but since this router is
> going into a redudant setup
> i will have carp devices. i will have serveral carp devices on one the
> interfaces where i running
> softflowd at the moment, because on this interfaces i have more than one ip.
> does it make sence to run softflowd on the carp devices (serveral
> softlfowd istances then)
> or better to run it on the psyical interface like now (fxp0)?

I would guess that it would be better to run it on the carp interfaces,
but in a switched environment there should not be too much effective
difference - the physical interface should not be seeing traffic destined
for the virtual arp address of a carp interface when it is in slave mode.

On the other hand, running multiple instances of softflowd shouldn't
waste too many cycles.

-d