[netflow-tools] CentOS Logsocket Issues

Craig Weinhold craig.weinhold at cdw.com
Sun Apr 14 08:00:11 EST 2013

Not sure if this is what you're seeing, but I've had a bear of a time with selinux, the invisible security layer which is enabled by default in Centos.

For example, if you configure /etc/syslog.conf with "$AddUnixListenSocket /var/empty/dev/log"  and then launch rsyslogd by hand, it creates the unix socket fine and then you can have it process flowd's log messages. But if you launch rsyslogd from the /etc/init.d/rsyslog script, it can't create the unix socket and doesn't log any error message at all. Tat's selinux at work in the background.

You can quickly disable selinux to see if that's the cause of your woes:

   echo 0 >/selinux/enforce

If that is the problem, then you _should_ spend time to figure out how to make your stuff work with selinux. It's a headache.  Use "ls -Z" to see what security characteristics each file has, and then use "chcon" to change the file type. For example, to fix the /etc/init.d/rsyslog script, I did this:

   chcon -t etc_t /etc/init.d/rsyslog

-Craig