[openssh-unix-announce] OpenSSH 3.9 released
markus at openbsd.org
Wed Aug 18 18:58:49 EST 2004
OpenSSH 3.9 has just been released. It will be available from the
mirrors listed at http://www.openssh.com/ shortly.
OpenSSH is a 100% complete SSH protocol version 1.3, 1.5 and 2.0
implementation and includes sftp client and server support.
We would like to thank the OpenSSH community for their continued
support to the project, especially those who contributed source and
bought T-shirts or posters.
We have a new design of T-shirt available, more info on
For international orders use http://https.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/order
and for European orders, use http://https.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/order.eu
Changes since OpenSSH 3.8:
* Added new "IdentitiesOnly" option to ssh(1), which specifies that it should
use keys specified in ssh_config, rather than any keys in ssh-agent(1)
* Make sshd(8) re-execute itself on accepting a new connection. This security
measure ensures that all execute-time randomisations are reapplied for each
connection rather than once, for the master process' lifetime. This includes
mmap and malloc mappings, shared library addressing, shared library mapping
order, ProPolice and StackGhost cookies on systems that support such things
* Add strict permission and ownership checks to programs reading ~/.ssh/config
NB ssh(1) will now exit instead of trying to process a config with poor
ownership or permissions
* Implemented the ability to pass selected environment variables between the
client and the server. See "AcceptEnv" in sshd_config(5) and "SendEnv" in
ssh_config(5) for details
* Added a "MaxAuthTries" option to sshd(8), allowing control over the maximum
number of authentication attempts permitted per connection
* Added support for cancellation of active remote port forwarding sessions.
This may be performed using the ~C escape character, see "Escape Characters"
in ssh(1) for details
* Many sftp(1) interface improvements, including greatly enhanced "ls" support
and the ability to cancel active transfers using SIGINT (^C)
* Implement session multiplexing: a single ssh(1) connection can now carry
multiple login/command/file transfer sessions. Refer to the "ControlMaster"
and "ControlPath" options in ssh_config(5) for more information
* The sftp-server has improved support for non-POSIX filesystems (e.g. FAT)
* Portable OpenSSH: Re-introduce support for PAM password authentication, in
addition to the keyboard-interactive driver. PAM password authentication
is less flexible, and doesn't support pre-authentication password expiry but
runs in-process so Kerberos tokens, etc are retained
* Improved and more extensive regression tests
* Many bugfixes and small improvements
- MD5 (openssh-3.9.tgz) = 93f48bfcc1560895ae53de6bfc41689b
- MD5 (openssh-3.9p1.tar.gz) = 8e1774d0b52aff08f817f3987442a16e
- please read http://www.openssh.com/report.html
OpenSSH is brought to you by Markus Friedl, Niels Provos, Theo de Raadt,
Kevin Steves, Damien Miller, Ben Lindstrom, Darren Tucker and Tim Rice.
More information about the openssh-unix-announce