Upgrading from ssh to openssh (1.2pre12)...

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Tue Nov 16 02:55:30 EST 1999

Hello all,

	I've just tried my first attempt at migrating from ssh (1.2.27)
to openssh.  I got 1.2pre12 to compile and install from the source RPM's.
Just ran into one royal pain of a problem.  Sshd won't start!  It doesn't
seem to like my old host keys.

	I get the following error in syslog:

Nov 15 10:45:38 alcove sshd[21731]: fatal: cipher_set_key: unknown cipher: 1

	It does start up if I generate new keys for the host, but then all
of the clients that connect are going to bitch to high heavens that the
host key has changed and may not connecting to who they think they are.

	Now...  What's wrong and how do I fix it?  The logistics of blowing
away everybodies ssh_known_hosts files for hosts and individuals makes
regening keys impractical.  Potentially, the number of hosts which would
end up with new host keys are several dozen.  The number of individuals
who would have the subsequent "host keys has changed" error inflicted
upon them could be several hundred.

	I couldn't find anything in any of the readme files regarding
migration problems or solutions.

	Mike
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 331-2437   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/