scp without permitting shell access, possible?

Jos Backus josb at cncdsl.com
Fri Dec 15 13:49:12 EST 2000

On Thu, Dec 14, 2000 at 09:28:49PM -0600, mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org wrote:
> I don't see how you can do such a thing without changing how scp
> works. (Which is scp would no longer spawn the user's interactive shell,
> but either spawn /bin/sh w/ no .*rc files.)

Yes, it seems like an all-or-nothing proposal. scp also enables interactive
access, which you'd then have to hack around to close that "hole".

> I'd have to test it.. but you may be able to pull it off with
> sftp-server.  But I am not up on my 'subsystem' definations of SSH2.

Me neither. Maybe hsftp helps here?

Thanks,
--
Jos Backus                 _/  _/_/_/        "Modularity is not a hack."
                          _/  _/   _/                -- D. J. Bernstein