Slackware 4.0: wtmp and pty.c problems

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Sat Jan 8 09:44:12 EST 2000

On Fri, 7 Jan 2000, John Seifarth wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I use a Slackware 4.0 based system (libc5 based, with glibc2.07 runtime
> support).
>

> I've configured OpenSSH using:
> ./configure --sysconfdir=/etc/ssh --without-pam
> --with-default-path=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbi
> n:/sbin
>
> NOTE: yes, --with-default-path DOES work, since pre24 (pre 22 did not)
>
> When I try to compile OpenSSH-1.2.1pre25 (or pre24 or pre22), I get the
> following error messages:

[error message snipped]

> If I then edit pty.c and add a line after the test, unconditionally
> undefining HAVE_DEV_PTMX like this:

It looks like you are running a 2.2.x kernel or at least have the
Unix98 pty device nodes., but are lacking the openpty() function
in your libc.

> /* Pty allocated with _getpty gets broken if we do I_PUSH:es to it. */
> #if defined(HAVE__GETPTY) || defined(HAVE_OPENPTY)
> #undef HAVE_DEV_PTMX
> #endif
>
> #undef HAVE_DEV_PTMX
>
> Then everything compiles, installs and functions ALMOST normally.
>
> However, /var/log/wtmp is NOT updated.
>
> Login messages appear in syslog quite normally, /var/run/utmp
> appears to be updated properly, but /var/log/wtmp is not updated on
> login/logpout using openSSH.
>
> I also note that, on the same setup, /var/log/wtmp IS updated correctly
> when using commercial SSH (version 1.2.26).
>
> Any suggestions how I should investigate this problem further? My C
> skills are basically limited to messing with Makefiles and sundry to
> get programs to compile, and I'm NOT competent to plunge into the
> code and post a diff to the list.

Could you send me a copy of the output of ./configure and the
config.h file it generates?

> Also, I note that ssh -V always returns
> SSH Version OpenSSH-1.2.1, protocol version 1.5
>
> Not that this is a real problem, but it makes it difficult to see
> what preXX version I'm actually running. Would adding this to the
> version output cause problems elesewhere?

I will consider this.

Regards,
Damien Miller

- --