forum to discuss problems

Mate Wierdl mw at moni.msci.memphis.edu
Sat Jan 15 05:51:01 EST 2000

Please tell me where I can ask questions on ssh's use.

I installed openssh on two Linux boxes, one is RedHat 6.0 the other is
RedHat 6.1.  I used the rpms at

ftp://thermo.stat.ncsu.edu/pub/openssh-usa/

I used the us versions, and I touched no config files whatsoever.

>From one machine, I have no problems connecting to the other machine,
but does not work the other way around.

Here are the details:

On the RH 6.0 box, I have problems connectiong to the 6.1 box:

ssh -v moni
SSH Version OpenSSH-1.2.1, protocol version 1.5.
Compiled with SSL (RSAref version).
debug: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
debug: ssh_connect: getuid 0 geteuid 0 anon 0
debug: Connecting to wierdlmpc.msci.memphis.edu [141.225.11.87] port
22.
debug: Allocated local port 1023.
debug: Connection established.
ssh_exchange_identification: read: No such file or directory
debug: Calling cleanup 0x8054c80(0x0)

>From the 6.1 box, I have no problems connection to the 6.0 box:

# ssh -v bbg
SSH Version OpenSSH-1.2.1, protocol version 1.5.
Compiled with SSL (RSAref version).
debug: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
debug: ssh_connect: getuid 0 geteuid 0 anon 0
debug: Connecting to bbg.msci.memphis.edu [141.225.112.200] port 22.
debug: Allocated local port 1023.
debug: Connection established.
debug: Remote protocol version 1.5, remote software version
OpenSSH-1.2.1
debug: Waiting for server public key.
debug: Received server public key (768 bits) and host key (1024 bits).
debug: Host 'bbg.msci.memphis.edu' is known and matches the host key.
debug: Encryption type: 3des
debug: Sent encrypted session key.
debug: Installing crc compensation attack detector.
debug: Received encrypted confirmation.
debug: Trying RSA authentication with key 'root at moni.msci.memphis.edu'
debug: Server refused our key.
debug: Doing password authentication.
root at bbg.msci.memphis.edu's password:

Thx for any hints,
--
---
Mate Wierdl | Dept. of Math. Sciences | University of Memphis