Post-compile RSA error with 1.2.2, Solaris 7, OpenSSL 0.9.5

Rip Loomis rip at clark.net
Thu Mar 2 06:33:17 EST 2000

I've been happily using the pre-packaged OpenSSH on my Debian systems
for several weeks.  Yesterday I finally started the process of getting
OpenSSH up and running on all our Solaris boxes, to replace the
existing (patched) 1.2.27 non-free version.  (Our in-house patches to
1.2.27 include generation of kernel-level audit data for both IRIX and
Solaris, and I want to port/contribute that code to OpenSSH).

What I did:
1.  Installed a new fresh Solaris 7 box with all current Sun
    recommended patches.
2.  Downloaded and installed the precompiled GCC 2.95.2 and perl 5.005.03
    from sunfreeware.com
3.  Downloaded source code for the following, compiled and installed
    with no problems:
    - OpenSSL 0.9.5
    - zlib 1.1.3
    - egd 0.6
4.  Downloaded OpenSSH 1.2.2 tarball, compiled and installed.  Some
    warnings, but nothing appeared significant.

Up to this point, everything looks fine.  If I run ssh with no arguments,
then I get the expected usage error message.

If I try to ssh to a host that is running SSH, or I try to start the local
sshd, I get (with the appropriate program name in place of $0):
$0: no RSA support in libssl and libcrypto -- exiting.  See ssl(8)

I've looked through the archives and glanced at the source, but nothing
jumps out as the obvious cause.  Other folks seem to have OpenSSH up
on Solaris 7 already--so does anyone have any hints as I start trying to
RTFM and RTFS?

Note:  After my first attempt blew up, I also tried (as an alternate
method) downloading, compiling, installing, and linking against RSAREF2.
That apparently worked okay, but the end result was the same.  Any chance
that SSH found the correct libraries at compile time, but can't find them
at runtime?

	--Rip