closed connections when using X11 forwarding

jackjack jack jack_kcaj at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 12 09:28:45 EST 2000

I'm experiencing a problem with X11 forwarding over ssh connections.  If one
of the X11 apps that is opened remotely is shut down, the entire connection
is released with the output:

Connection to joe.bl.com closed by remote host.
Connection to joe.bl.com closed.

It seems like this only happens in certain instances of exiting X11 apps,
e.g., when an app dies unexpectedly (I can replicate this with LyX), or for
certain classes of apps (appletviewer distributed with jdk1.2.pre-v2).

I can't find any mention of this type of behavior being expected in the
docs, though there may be some explanation for it.  I definitely would
classify it as a bug, since on a ssh connection where multiple apps are
being run, this results in data loss for those apps when the whole thing
comes crashing down.

openssh version 1.2.2
openssl version 0.9.4
Linux (RH6.1) kernel 2.2.12, glibc 2.1.2.
(both machines match this description)