openssh RH 6.1 linux install

avid bioboy at arches.uga.edu
Thu Mar 16 19:16:52 EST 2000

I have installed the most recent openssl from the source grabbed off their website via "./config ; make ; make install "
and then openssh from source grabbed off your website via "./configure --with-ipv4-default "

i am told "checking for OpenSSL/SSLeay directory... configure: error: Could not find working SSLeay / OpenSSL libraries, please instal"
by ./configure

i have tried using the "--with-ssl-dir=/usr/local/ssl" flag,
also using DIR as /usr/local/ssl/include, /usr/local/ssl/include/openssl, /usr/local/ssl/lib, where /usr/local/ssl/include/openssl is the directory containing rsa.h
i tried looking inside ./configure, but the problem was not immediately apparent to me of limited abilities:)

am i doing something wrong?

-christian