default-path

Ben Taylor bent at clark.net
Fri Mar 17 11:01:16 EST 2000

On Thu, 16 Mar 2000, Mate Wierdl wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 16, 2000 at 05:03:33PM -0500, Jim Knoble wrote:
> > What is your default system path?  On my Red Hat Linux 5.2 system, it's:
> >
> >   [jmknoble at zax:/usr/include]
> >   $ grep -A 1 _PATH_STDPATH *.h
> >   paths.h:#define _PATH_STDPATH\
> >   paths.h-	"/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin"
> >   [jmknoble at zax:/usr/include]
> >   $
>
> This is Solaris, and I have
>
> grep _PATH_STDPATH /usr/include/*.h
> echo $?
> 1

_PATH_STDPATH is defined in some unices and not others.  In
the case of Solaris, we just override it.

> > --with-default-path="\
> > /space/local/bin:\
> > /usr/bin:\
> > /bin:\
> > /space/local/sbin:\
> > /usr/sbin:\
> > /sbin"
>
> So I should put the sbin directories there too?

It's really up to you.  You want to make sure you have /usr/bin
and whereever ssh/scp clients are as a minimum.  The rest is
just gravy and makes like easier for doing remote maintainance.
In Solaris, you might want to add /sbin, /usr/sbin, /usr/local/bin,
and maybe /usr/openwin/bin (for xauth).  YMMV and there are
a bunch of other recommendations other people will suggest.
Pretty much all are valid as long as /usr/bin and /space/local/bin
is in your default path.

> Also, the question remains: why $prefix/bin is not added to
> default-path?

Actually, that is a good recommendation.  Damien?

Ben