Failed password

Paul Thomas paul at cuenet.com
Tue Mar 28 14:05:13 EST 2000

Hi,

If there is a place to post this, please advise, but I am stuck. I have
recently installed openssh-1.2.3
on a Red Hat 6.1 installation. Everything compile ok but I don't get no
password auththenticcation.
So I recompiled openssh-1.2.3 without PAM support and it still  does not
work. I can log into
the system otherwise (shadow password is enabled).

Here is what I have in my /var/log/messages:

Mar 27 19:13:11 localhost sshd[23711]: Failed password for itchy from
199.174.197.138 port 1022
Mar 27 19:13:11 localhost sshd[23711]: Connection closed by
199.174.197.138

Any suggestions how I might enable a more verbose error log or get some
idea of what is
failing?

Thanks,

--Paul T.