A bug in installing OpenSSH

Glenn S. Ramalho ramalho at panther2.amd.com
Tue Mar 28 20:55:37 EST 2000

I hope this is the correct place to send this to.  I was trying to build OpenSSH
on a HP/UX 10.20 system and I got an error message.  The Ansi C
compiler did not understand the uint64_t stuff.  I did some investigating and
it seems that its a problem in how the compiler is being called.

  Your code ran: cc -Aa -D_HPUX_SOURCE

According to the manpage this combination does not produce 64 bit ints.
You need to add the +e option or run it with the -Ae option.  I changed
the makefile and it went ok.  Well, I still had to find a replacement for
/dev/urandom but after I got that going it went ok.

   The final result for me was: cc -Ae -D_HPUX_SOURCE

I also added +O4 to get it optimized for my case as I do not expect to
be runnign dbx/gdb/whatever here.  That though of course has nothing to do
with +e.

PS: gcc failed too.  Although GCC does not need the +e option, it still
does not read the typedefs to set uint64_t and int64_t to long long.  Those
are only set if the includes have the correct set of defines.