Password and RH 6.1

Mate Wierdl mw at moni.msci.memphis.edu
Fri Mar 31 02:53:14 EST 2000

On Wed, Mar 29, 2000 at 11:22:53PM -0800, Paul Thomas wrote:

> Jim Knobel said:
>
> >Paul, i think you misunderstand.  The OpenSSH RPMs are not provided by
> >Red Hat.  They're built by Damien Miller (who also coordinates the
> >non-BSD port of OpenSSH) and are available in the same location you
> >downloaded the OpenSSH source from.
>
> I just figured this out. I apologize, I am new to Red Hat and I
> just don't think to grab an RPM when I need to install something.
>
> >Since Damien builds OpenSSH and uses it on Red Hat Linux 6.1 systems,
> >there must be something funky about either the configuration of your
> >system or the way you configured and compiled OpenSSH.  Please help us
> >help you and discover what the differences are.
>
> This is possible. I just tried to install Damien's RPM and get
> the following:
>
> [root at chime src]# rpm -ivh openssh-1.2.3-1.i386.rpm
> error: failed dependencies:
>         openssl   is needed by openssh-1.2.3-1
>         openssl is needed by openssh-1.2.3-1
>         libcrypto.so.0 is needed by openssh-1.2.3-1

The linux shared libraries from openssl are apparently needed by the
openssh package.  So you need to build and install them too, and then
install openssh with

rpm -Uvh --nodeps openssh...

But I think you are better off with installing openssl* rpms instead
of installing the openssl libraries by hand.

After removing your openssl installation, just issue

rpm -Uvh ftp://thermo.stat.ncsu.edu/pub/openssh/files/support/openssl-0.9.4-3.i386.rpm

and possibly

rpm -Uvh ftp://thermo.stat.ncsu.edu/pub/openssh/files/support/openssl-devel-0.9.4-3.i386.rpm

Mate