X11 Forwarding and Red Hat

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Fri May 19 00:45:45 EST 2000

On Thu, May 18, 2000 at 11:35:48AM -0400, Matthew C. Weigel wrote:
> I'm having some difficulty with X forwarding through SSH between OpenSSH and
> normal ssh.  The problem system is running Red Hat 6.2, and I've seen
> several references to Red Hat clobbering $XAUTHORITY.  Unfortunately, I
> can't find where this clobbering is done (someone mentioned on Mandrake 7
> it's in /etc/profile.d/, but it isn't here).

> It's causing minor problems here, where one development server that I'm in
> charge of is using OpenSSH and others (that coworkers are in charge of) are
> running regular ssh.  Since we do GUI Java development, remote X display is
> essential, and X forwarding makes it easier.

	It might help [a lot] if you were more specific about what the
problems were that you were experiencing and not so much about what you
think is wrong.  I'm also having problems with X11 forwarding in OpenSSH
2.1.0 (which I don't THINK occured in 1.2.3) and it has nothing to
do with $XAUTHORITY.  What are the errors that you are experiencing?

	Oh...  And, BTW, if you are loading OpenSSH 2.1.0, I noticed that
both of the new config files have X forwarding disabled.  That was the
first thing I got burned on after upgrading my ssh*_config files.

>  Matthew Weigel
>  Programmer/Sysadmin/Student
>  weigel+ at pitt.edu

	Mike