OpenSSH and S/Key (Re: Another shapshot)

Ben Lindstrom mouring at pconline.com
Thu Nov 9 16:09:27 EST 2000

On Wed, 8 Nov 2000, Gert Doering wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 08, 2000 at 01:34:04AM -0600, Ben Lindstrom wrote:
> > > No.  Tried using up[0]+up[1] instead, but that also gives me a constant
> > > number - the first always gives me "58", the second "85", but neither
> > > gives the current challenge.
> > >
> > > So - is anybody working on S/Key in OpenSSH?  Is somebody using it on a
> > > non-BSD platform?  If yes, what did you do, which s/key library, which
> > > CPU endianness, ...?
> > >
> > If I knew of a S/Key library outside of the code in the OpenBSD tree I'd
> > be happy to compile it up under Linux and see if I can mimic this problem.
>
> There is one that has been ported from OpenBSD (similar to OpenSSH), I
> found it by looking in "www.google.com" for "skey source".  I found it
> at http://www.sparc.spb.su/solaris/skey/, which, as I understand, is
> also its home site.  I use version 1.1.
>
> The S/Key library itself seems to work fine, that is:

Hmm... I see.  I finally have it running after tweaking the skey and
and OpenSSH.

And I see what you mean.. And this is on a linux/i86 box.

Challenge states: 40 etoh54947
It should state: 98 etoh39309

I doubt it's any type of endedness.  I think it's a problem with
OpenSSH portable code.  (doing a diff -u of auth-skey.c and you'll
notice large blocks of function changes..Which I'm attempting to track
down)

I think there is a good reason why it was disabled. =)

Does anyone have this code working correctly on any platform (besides the
given OpenBSD =)??

- Ben