man pages won't work

Andrew Stribblehill a.d.stribblehill at durham.ac.uk
Thu Nov 9 21:50:33 EST 2000

Quoting Damien Miller <djm at mindrot.org>:
> On Wed, 8 Nov 2000, Gert Doering wrote:
>
> > Seconded.  I thought it was only me (and didn't investigate further).
> >
> > To me, it seems as if some nroff-macros are used that "generic nroff -man"
> > doesn't know.
>
> A few people have reported this as a problem.
>
> If someone with an affected system and better knowledge of nroff can come
> up with a solution it would be appreciated.
>
> -d

The same's true with Solaris. Since mdoc is a BSD thing[1],
we're not going to get most SysV systems to understand it. I
thought this was why we included the --with-manpage=cat flag (from
memory) in the ./configure script. Certainly using preformatted
pages is lots better than nothing, and is what I've done at
Durham.

Cheerio,

Andrew Stribblehill
Systems Programmer, IT Service, University of Durham, England

[1] Mdoc is immesurably better than mm, but it's just not
standard.