openssh-2.3.0p1-1 with RedHat 6.2 - Bad packet length

Robert Steinfeldt robert.steinfeldt at steeleye.com
Tue Nov 14 05:08:30 EST 2000

Rob Hagopian wrote:

> FYI, I get 'select: Bad file descriptor' even when scp is in the path,
> right before the copy starts...
> 								-Rob

I had this problem when I upgraded a series of RedHat 6.1 and 6.2
machines from OpenSSH 2.2.0* to 2.3.0p1.[1] Even /with/ the correct
OpenSSH scp in the path before any other scp might be called, I was
having the general problems you're describing when I tried to copy TO a
machine that had had ssh.com's ssh installed in the /usr/local tree.[2]
What I did to make the problem stop was to completely remove the ssh.com
installation in /usr/local on the side being copied to.

It appears that the problem emerged with the upgrade to OpenSSH 2.3.0,
since I'd done scp transfers between the machines when they ran OpenSSH
2.2.0, without a problem. This may not be the issue you're seeing, but
it's worth a try.

Robert Steinfeldt -- robert.steinfeldt at steeleye.com

[1] - In both cases, I was using the provided Redhat RPMs available from
openssh.com.
[2] - I used to have the noncommercial ssh.com version run from inetd,
and when I originally upgraded to OpenSSH, simply commented out that
line and let OpenSSH run sshd from /etc/rc.d/init.d. The old
installation just sat where it was.