having some trouble using another user's RSA/DSA keys

Jarno Huuskonen jhuuskon at messi.uku.fi
Wed Nov 15 20:46:11 EST 2000

On Tue, Nov 14, Jim Breton wrote:
> Thanks.  :)  I am now running OpenSSH-2.3.0 and authenticating against
> an ssh.com server, however I believe there is some problem with the
> OpenSSH client code.  The problem of the unnecessary warnings seems to
> have gone away with this release, but I still am unable to use someone
> else's key for authentication.
>
> If I use the following command line:
>
> root at tarkin:~# ssh -v -2 -l jamesb -i /home/jamesb/.ssh/id_dsa remotehost
>
> I would expect root to connect to "remotehost," as userid "jamesb,"
> using jamesb's id_dsa key.

AFAIK the -i option works only for protocol 1 (it says rsa-keys in ssh
man page).

I think as a workaround you could use
-o "IdentityFile2 /home/jamesb/.ssh/id_dsa"

(Hmm, after testing ssh complains that the id_dsa has bad ownership or
bad mode(0600)...)

-Jarno

Jarno Huuskonen - System Administrator   |  Jarno.Huuskonen at uku.fi
University of Kuopio - Computer Centre   |  Work:   +358 17 162822
PO BOX 1627, 70211 Kuopio, Finland       |  Mobile: +358 40 5388169