Antw: Re: openssh kills the stty values?

Stephan Hendl Stephan.Hendl at lds.brandenburg.de
Wed Nov 22 16:38:21 EST 2000

Hi,

thanks for your answer. I can reproduce your error in my HP-UX system and solved it ;-)).
I built socalled software-depots for distributing the openssh-package and put
the start command in the postinstall-script. The shell of this postinstall script has the bahavior
that intr ^C won't work properly. So I did your trick with "/sbin/init.d/sshd stop/start" from a shell where ^C works and everything is ok now.

Thanks oncemore
Stephan

--
LDS Brandenburg
Dr. Stephan Hendl
EMail: stephan.hendl at lds.brandenburg.de

>>> Garrick James <garrick at james.net> 21.11.2000 06:42:13 >>>
I do not have any hpux machines, but I cannot help wondering if this is
like the same problem we have (or had?) on Solaris (don't know if it was
ever fixed, but a work-around exists).

On Solaris, you end up with the same thing sometimes.  Namely, your intr
key combination doesn't work.  It turns out that this is only the case if
intr does not work in the environment from which sshd is launched (like
from a cron/at job or an ssh session in which the problem exists, for
example).

The work-around on Solaris is to make sure that sshd starts up in an
environment in which intr already works (i.e. at system startup, at the
console, or in a telnet session).  Once sshd is "bootstrapped" in this
manner, intr works fine in ssh sessions.  I have my system init script for
openssh (/etc/init.d/openssh) written so that it takes the argument
"restart" in addition to "start" and "stop".  With the restart argument,
the script simply does:

/etc/init.d/openssh stop
/etc/init.d/openssh start

This makes it nice so that from within an ssh session that has a working
intr, I can issue:

nohup /etc/init.d/openssh restart

I get booted out, of course, but sshd starts up again with intr working.

Anyway, I don't know for sure that you are seeing the same problem, but I
hope this helped.

BTW, anyone know if this problem was ever fixed on Solaris?  I remember
reading a message that someone tracked down in the source were the problem
was, but I cannot remember if a patch was ever submitted and integrated.

-Garrick James